Meet our new Student Digital Champions for 2023

We are excited to announce that the DEO have recruited a new group of Student Digital Champions to work with the team for the next year to help us improve students’ digital experience whilst at University. You can find out more about them here. If you’re a student and want to get in touch with them, get in contact with your Course Rep who will be able to put you in touch.

Polly Davis

3rd Year, studying Environmental Geoscience. Polly has worked with the DEO since the start of 2022.

Polly Davis

Tell us something about yourself (interesting or not!)

Just like last year, I am a great Louis Theroux enthusiast!

What is your favourite keyboard shortcut?

My favourite has to be command-f as it saves me a lot of time to find relevant information in countless academic papers. Just search for a keyword and it will direct you to the areas where that word is mentioned in writing!

What’s your favourite emoji to use in online sessions?

Always the smiley face Smile

Is there a University acronym or term you’ve still never worked out what it means?

Fortunately not.

What are you most looking forward to being involved with in the Digital Education Office?

Enhancing digital skills for students. Not only are they essential for university, but they will also be essential for many workplaces! It is vital that all students can access digital learning tools at every stage.

Daniel Cheek

1st Year, studying MEng Aerospace Engineering

Daniel

I enjoy playing football and support Watford. I’m terrible at cooking but an avid food enjoyer. I also enjoy travelling and hiking.

Windows+ (Magnifier)

Peace emoji ✌

AVDASI* – it’s a unit on my course but I have no idea what it means apart from A being aerospace.

Improving student experience in a more meaningful way so that when people have issues with digital learning I can take real action to help them.

Rosie Neville

3rd Year, studying Economics and Politics

Rosie

As well as playing football, I am an Arsenal fan (which probably fills me with more dread than joy!)

Ctrl + F

Thumbs up – appropriate in most situations Yes

APR*

I am looking forward to being a student voice/ representative on the team. I think having lived experience of what works (and what doesn’t work!) will be beneficial in seeing how the university can use digital resources to improve the experience of students – whether that’s making the digital environment more accessible or improving feedback systems.

Conor Macdonald

2nd Year, studying Philosophy and Economics

Conor

I can speak Welsh.

Command + Tab (switches between open apps)

It has to be the simple thumbs up πŸ‘

I’d like to think I know most of them, though I still sometimes get mixed up between summative and formative assessments.

I’m looking forward to shaping the student experience of digital education at Bristol. Hopefully I can input their opinions on projects before they’re implemented. I’d also like to improve students’ opinions regarding their experience with present projects, such as Multi Factor Authentication (MFA). Hopefully I can show that it is a very useful security feature and not something to dislike.

Emma Yi Kwan Lau,

3rd Year, studying Veterinary Science

Emma

I travelled to Ireland last summer for an internship to learn more about aquaculture and how it relates to veterinary medicine. You wouldn’t have correlated your pet fish with vets, but that’s possible and is an industry I want to be part of!

Ctrl+Z. Sometimes I accidentally delete what I wrote. However, with this shortcut, I can easily recover the sentence or paragraph I was writing!

πŸ‘ A thumbs up!

Not yet.

Collecting students’ opinions on the current blended learning system and creating projects to improve students’ experiences!

Gen Kawaguchi

2nd Year. Studying Aerospace Engineering

Gen

I worked as a volunteer in Tokyo 2020 Olympics!

Shift+Windows+S! Snipping is useful.

πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«Dizzy symbolπŸ‘- When I get confused and understand.

A LOT!! I still find many acronyms that I don’t know especially when checking emails… (TSS, CAG, ILO, etc…)*

Work collaboratively with team members Beaming face with smiling eyes

Hannah Harrison

1st Year, studying MSc Mathematics of Cybersecurity

Hannah

I love to scuba dive!

Ctrl-F is a firm favourite, it saves so much time!

The facepalm emoji – for when I’ve been stuck on a problem for ages and suddenly realise the obvious solution! Facepalm

SSLC*

I am looking forward to the opportunity to write blog posts, as I rarely write anything outside of the academic style. I’m also excited to share my ideas on how to improve student experiences with blackboard and online learning after the shake-up caused by COVID.

Nia Burkinshaw,

2nd Year, studying Law

Nia

I am really terrible at using buses in Bristol, and have often gone in the wrong direction. I have ended up in practically Weston-super-Mare not once but twice!

ctrl + f, saves a lot of boring reading!

A simple smiley face for when my lecturer shows us his cats. Smile

No, but the ASS (library) can be great for making an immature joke.

The team seem really great and exciting people, I’m looking forward to collaborating with others to help students get the most out of the amazing resources we have access to.

Katie Stoker

1st year MSc, studying Bioinformatics

Katie

I studied in Italy for one year during my undergraduate degree!

Hm, I would say it has to be ctrl+ s…
I have learned from experience that you should save your work as you go!

The heart! ❀️

As a newbie to the university, I was quite confused hearing people they were going to “ASS” to study (Arts And Social Sciences Library for anyone still confused).

Working with the DEO is going to be a great opportunity to be a representative of the student voice. I look forward to contributing creative and innovative ideas to solve problems and improve the online university experience.

Bibiana Lebersorger

3rd year, studying English

Bibi

I really enjoy cold water swimming, especially at home along the Devon coastline.

Control/Command + F = Find a word in a document.

Thumbs up! πŸ‘

AGM / EGM*

I’m really looking forward to helping to identify digital problems that students and lectures alike encounter, and coming up with creative potential solutions.

Samantha Travers-Spencer

2nd Year, studying Veterinary Science

Samantha

My favourite animals are donkeys!

It has to be the classic Ctrl+V!

Definitely the thumbs up emoji. πŸ‘

There are so many I have honestly lost count!

I am most looking forward to working with a diverse team, meeting new people and hopefully developing new digital skills along the way.

Timber Hill

1st Year MSc, studying Nuclear Science and Engineering

Timber

I’m a member of the judiciary!

Windows + X – opens up a menu to quickly open Task Manager, Device Manager or a PowerShell instance (and more!)

😦 – the sort of face you’d make if you’re looking at something that has gone way over your head

Too many to remember! I come across AQSC (Academic Quality and Standards Committee) written down a fair bit, and only just found out what it stands for.

Getting stuck in with projects to make digital tools work better for all students! I’m especially interested in accessibility – with a focus on neurodivergence.

Useful links

You can find out more about the Student Digital Champions, and see some of the work they have created on the following pages.

*We knew most of these acronyms, but had to look a few up!

• AVDASI – Aerospace Vehicle Design and Systems Integration
  • APR – Annual programme review.
  • Summative assessment – Assessments of learning provide a measure of achievement in relation to the learning outcomes of the unit or programme. These assessments are designed to test how much you have learnt, i.e. your knowledge, understanding and skills.
  • Formative assessment – Assessments for learning are designed to provide you with feedback on your progress and to inform your development, but do not contribute to the overall unit or programme mark. These assessments should help you gain further knowledge, understanding and skills.
  • TSS – Temporary Staffing Service
  • CAG – Casual, Academic, Guest
  • ILO – Industrial Liaison Office
  • SSLC – Student Staff Liaison Committees
  • AGM – Annual General Meeting
  • EGM – Extraordinary General Meeting
Skip to toolbar